Tuesday, 28 March 2017

A new history of the Together Trust

In 1921, in celebration of the Manchester and Salford Boys’ and Girls’ Refuges and Homes jubilee, a new book was published. Written by William Edmondson, Secretary of the charity between 1894 and 1920, it told the story of the first 50 years of the Refuges. It is the only published history of the charity and concentrates on individual stories, attempting to provoke sympathy in the reader and encourage donations or aid. For those interested in the charity’s Victorian work, it offers an introduction to the services, key staff and stories of the children who lived in the homes.



Making Rough Places Plain, 1920

In celebration of the charity’s 150th birthday in 2020 we are excited to announce that a new book on the history of the charity will be written. This will tell the story of the charity from 1870 up until today. It aims to give readers a comprehensive chronology of how the charity has developed, from a few hammocks in its first home in Quay Street to the many different homes and services that the charity runs today.

Delving into the Together Trust’s substantial archive, the book will provide the opportunity to display some of our fantastic images alongside the story. We are hoping there will also be the opportunity to provide the public with details of how to research their own ancestor, if they think they were ever in the care of the charity.
 

Reading Room in Central Refuge
A fantastic local historian who takes a keen interest in the charity’s history will write the book for us. We are thrilled to be working in collaboration with them and will blog more on the project as it develops. We hope it will be an exciting and interesting addition to our 150th celebrations.

1 comment:

Like to know more about a certain home or period in the Together Trust's history? Why not comment and let us know.