Just sitting on a roof

Seeing as it’s a Friday we are going back to our odd photograph of the week.


This was discovered in one of our photograph scrap books. These consist of various images from the first fifty years of the charity and can often be copies that have been saved from the annual reports. Although no originals unfortunately still exist it at least gives an insight into the different services provided by the charity.

And so we come to the image above. Due to the other photographs that were included on the page we assume the image was taken at Birkdale, Southport, where the charity had its summer camp. It shows one of the permanent camp buildings being erected on the sands by various workers. Unlike today’s health and safety rules it appears that work in the 1900s was not so strict!

Comments

  1. Hi guys. I write a weekly two-page 'Nostalgia' column in the paid-for 'Southport Visiter' newspaper (each Thursday) and I have received half-a-dozen pages from a little diary written by a 12-year old boy who, apparently, attending the charity's Summer Camp at Birkdale, possibly in the 1920s. The son of this person has asked me to compile a feature about this annual event, and so I have looked-up some information on your EXCELLENT blog. I am aiming to finish my article a week on Sunday (to send through first thing Monday morning). Therefore, I was wondering if you had any other specific snippets about the Summer Camps in Birkdale. Also, am I ok to utilise a few of the photographs, crediting the Together Trust of course? Many thanks for your time. GEOFF WRIGHT. Email - southporthistory@gmail.com. Friday 8 September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to follow-up my couple of articles with a modest publication, so please get back to me as soon as you return to the office. MANY THANKS! I would also like to hear from anyone who had a relative who attended the summer camp at Birkdale. Please contact me at - southporthistory@gmail.com. Thank you. Geoff Wright.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Like to know more about a certain home or period in the Together Trust's history? Why not comment and let us know.

If you have a personal or more specific enquiry please see our 'Contact Us' section at the top of this page to get in touch via email.