Looking back at our long history it seems strange to think of a time when the charity would only provide for boys. However for the first eight years of its existence, the Refuge did not take in girls. It wasn’t until 1878, with the opening of a detached house on Broughton Lane, that girls were provided for, for the first time. As more and more boys applied to the Refuge, those that investigated their circumstances were frequently coming across girls that needed aid.
|Rosen Hallas, George Street|