I'd like to read you some letters...


We’re heading back across the seas today to sunny Canada, simply because I’d like to relate to you some of the letters sent back to the Refuge by the children who went to live in Ontario. Within the Together Trust emigration collection there are many of these letters which give us an insight as to what life was like in Canada in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Marchmont Receiving House, Belleville, Ontario


Many of the letters included in this collection give details of the work carried out on the various farms by the boys. This included ploughing, milking the cows or making cheese.

Letter to the Refuge, 3 June 1900


Others gave details on more traditional aspects of Canadian life and adventures the boys had in their new country. The following extract was taken from a letter written on 23 September 1900, by a boy living on a farm on Elmsley, Ontario. Elmsley is situated on the north shore of the Rideau River.

Letter to the Refuge, September 1900

The letter continues:
“Got across alright. They ask[ed] me to try it but when I got in the canoe it started down the river. I paddled until my arms ached but when I saw I was pretty near the rapids I stopped paddling and clung to the canoe. It went over the rapids like an arrow but I could not keep my seat. The canoe went over and all I got was a good wash in cold water for my trouble. The water is not very deep at the rapids. There are about three rapids in the river [...] miles of its length. I must close now with best wishes and respects.”
Many went on to ask about family and friends still living in Manchester, as well as the Masters and Matrons of the homes they had been living in. At the time it was the only real away to communicate with the 'old country' and the Refuge's foresight to save the letters make for fascinating reading for today.  


Comments